What we offer
Competitive pay and conditions
The department offers competitive salaries and conditions. Our terms and conditions of employment are set out in the DFAT Enterprise Agreement.
Join a diverse and inclusive workforce
We want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the Australian community. We know the strength of our workforce lies in embracing diversity and valuing the unique qualities, attributes, skills and experiences held by our people. Learn more about our workplace diversity.
Explore new opportunities
We don't want your career to be stagnant – we want you to be engaged and motivated in your role. Working in the lead agency managing Australia's international presence opens up unparalleled prospects for mobility and experience.
This means that you will have more opportunities to learn from varied experiences. You might want to seek placement in a different work area within DFAT, be seconded or temporarily transferred to other organisations or be posted overseas to one of our many embassies, high commissions, consulates, multilateral missions and representative offices.
Grow your career
Our learning and development programs are provided through our Diplomatic Academy - a leading-edge hub for all staff working to advance Australia's interests internationally.
The Diplomatic Academy's learning programs are organised around faculties covering all areas of the department's business – foreign and strategic policy; development; economic diplomacy; trade and investment; consular and passport services; legal, language and corporate services.
Our learning and development programs also include a Studybank program for employees to pursue part-time study, and language training (pre-posting, as well as regular conversation classes and immersion courses).
Live a healthy life
We are committed to providing a supportive and safe work environment. We want our people to be healthy and active. We offer a range of initiatives including:
- wellbeing support, through the Staff and Familiy Support Office, comprising personal counselling, crisis support, support to families and management consultation
- an Employee Assistance Program for our people and their immediate family
- work health and safety information and training
- annual influenza (flu) vaccinations
- in-house gym, change rooms and bike storage (at offices in Canberra)
Enjoy quality time
We know that maintaining a positive work/life balance is an important part of staying engaged and productive at work. You may want to make more time for family and friends, undertake study or take a holiday. We can help you make that happen through:
- flexible working arrangements (part-time, job sharing)
- 22 days annual leave every 12 months
- 20 days personal/carers leave per year
- 14 weeks paid maternity leave (after 12 months of service)
- 2 weeks paid parental leave after the birth or adoption of a child (after 12 months of service)